Trip Details & Highlights
- Meall a’ Bhuachaille and the fairy Loch
- Ben Macdui – the second highest mountain in the UK
- Stunning Loch an Eilen and Ord Ban
- Beautiful scenery in the UK’s largest National Park
After pick-ups from either Inverness or Aviemore, we transfer you in into the heart of the Cairngorms at Glenmore forest park where we begin this exciting 3 day Cairngorm adventure. Accommodation will be within the Glenmore or Aviemore area.
We include a circular ascent of Meall a’ Bhuachaille which is Gaelic for ‘hill of the herdsman’ on day one (arrival day), followed by magnificent Ben Macdui on day two – the second highest mountain in the UK at 1,309 metres and also on this day we include Cairngorm mountain at 932 metres in a fantastic walk over the top of the northern Corries offering far-reaching and dramatic views.
On our third day, we do a more relaxing lower level walk which includes beautiful Loch an Eilean with its ruined castle and an ascent of the smaller hill of Ord Ban at 428 metres high, before transferring you back to Aviemore or Inverness for your homeward travel.
- 3 days guiding with a fully qualified mountain guide
- 2 nights accommodation in your choice of hostel or B&B (trip also available without accommodation)
- The teaching of basic navigation and mountain safety (if requested)
- Insight into the history and flora and fauna of the hills
- Transfer from Inverness or Aviemore to the Cairngorms and back
- All transfers within trip in comfortable 9 seater van
What`s not included
- Transport to Inverness or Aviemore
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
- All meals (apart from breakfast in B&B option)
- 24/08/20 – 26/08/20
- 11/09/20 – 13/09/20
- Other dates on request
- £185 pp – Hostel/Bunkhouse
- £245 pp – B&B/Hotel
- £145 pp – without accommodation
AT A CLANCE
- Group size: 3 – 7
- 3 days walking
- Deposit: £50
- Start: Inverness/Aviemore 10 am
- Finish: Inverness/Aviemore approx 3 – 4pm
- Extension possible
ACCOMMODATION & MEALS
- 2x nights accommodation as chosen
Day by Day Itinerary
Day 1 – Meall a’ Bhuachaille circuit
We ascend this fantastic Corbett (Scottish hill between 2500 and 3000 feet) from Glenmore forest park via a forest track followed by a lovely path through ancient Caledonian pines down to delightful Lochan Uaine (the Green Lochan) and then continue to Ryvoan Bothy before a steep pull up to eventually reach the summit of The Meall a’ Bhuachaille with extensive views.
We continue on a fairly straight forward meandering descent path down to the start and enjoy a refreshment in the renowned Pine Marten Bar. If time allows we can take a walk around Loch Morlich with its fantastic beach and views.
Walk details: 8.5 km/ 5.25 miles | approx. 3.5 – 5 hours | ↗ 543 m/1781 ft | ↘ 543 m/1781 ft
Day 2 – Ben Macdui and Cairngrom mountains
Today we take the short drive up to the Choire Cas ski car park to begin our wonderful walk up Ben Macdui. As we move away from the ski area we are treated to views of the imposing Coire an t-Sneachda climbing crags whilst we continue on our ascent path to Ben Macdui summit – the second highest mountain in the UK!
After photos and a summit break, we retrace our steps for a short section to pick up our very scenic route over the plateau of the Northern Corries to the summit of Cairngorm mountain at 1145 metres before continuing on our gradual descent down to the start point. A magnificent full mountain day!
Walk details: 17.5 km/ 11 miles | approx. 6 – 8 hours | ↗ 932 m/3057 ft | ↘ 932 m/3057 ft
Day 3 – Loch an Eilein and Ord Ban, Rothiemurchas
We offer a lovely lower level walk today around the stunning Loch an Eilan within Rothiemurchas estate with its beautifully positioned ruined castle and we also take in the small summit of the lesser know hill, Ord Ban which sits beside the loch.
It offers wonderful views and this day is a fitting end to our Cairngorm trip. We transfer you back to Aviemore or Inverness where we say our goodbyes
Walk details: 9 km/ 5.5 miles | approx. 3 – 4 hours | ↗ 320 m/1049 ft | ↘ 320 m/1049 ft